Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Manchurian Bush Warbler, 3/30/2012

Heard that a Curlew recently appeared in Bali, I took a trip to Bali. To my surprise, when I was walking on the left bank of Tamsui River at Bali, I saw this Bush Warbler through the corner of my eyes. I followed it and took some pictures, though it was not my target that day. Since the Warbler was jumping up and down continuously, it took me lots of effort before I got a relatively clear picture. Fortunately, I've taken its pictures before. Some of the pictures below are old pictures.

Bush Warblers all look alike, very hard to distinguish. According to information from internet, there are two species of Bush Warblers. One is Manchurian Bush Warbler, and the other one is Japanese Bush Warbler. Both looks the same and can only be distinguished from their color. Manchurian Bush Warbler is reddish brown, and Japanese Bush Warbler is grayish brown. In fact, I don't even know which are the ones I have photographed. But the Bush Warblers I photographed are reddish brown, so they are probably Manchurian Bush Warblers. I'm not sure. In Taiwan, both are either Winter migratory bird or passage migrant. Some people say both are commonly seen, and more people say both are uncommon. But it's easier to spot a Manchurian Bush Warbler than a Japanese Bush Warbler. Both like to live under the bush.


taken on 3/30/2012 at Bali, New Taipei City



taken on 3/27/2012 at Taipei Botanical Garden



taken on 3/4/2012 at C.K.S. Memorial Hall



taken on 2/10/2012 at Taipei Botanical Garden



video recorded on 2/10/2012 at Taipei Botanical Garden



Chinese name:短翅樹鶯
English name:Manchurian Bush Warbler
Nickname:
Scientific name:Cettia canturians
Order:Passeriformes
Family:Sylviidae
Species status:species
Conservation status:Least Concern
Migration status:Winter migratory bird or passage migrant in Taiwan
Frequency of appearance:Uncommon in Taiwan
Foods:Insects
Habitat:Woodlands, bushes
Altitude:Low altitude
Behavior:Appear alone
Characteristics: General Characteristics: There are two species: one is Manchurian Bush Warbler, the other one is Japanese Bush Warbler. Bush Warbler differs from Arctic Willow Warbler that Bush Warbler's back is brownish, but the Arctic Willow Warbler's back is olive green. Arctic Willow Warbler has white wingbar, but Bush Warbler does not
Breeding places:Southeast Siberia, Northeast China, Korea
Migration destinations: Wintering in South China, Southeast Asia, Taiwan and Philippines
Time photographed:2/10/2012, 3/4/2012, 3/27/2012, 3/30/2012
Location found:Taipei Botanical Garden, Bali of New Taipei City, C.K.S. Memorial Hall
Sources:Internet
Notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment