Monday, September 24, 2012

Chestnut-winged Cuckoo, 4/13/2012

This was not in my plan either. One day earlier, I was first thinking about going to Guizikeng Big Gutter area to photograph some Ruddy Crakes next day. But on second thought, I decided to go to YehLiu GeoPark next day, since two days earlier I took some pictures of Japanese Paradise Flycatchers there and the pictures were all out of focus. I wanted to try again. Also in my mind was Tristram's Bunting, which I saw it two days earlier but failed to photograph it. So I went to YehLiu again. When I climbed up to the stone table set area half way up the stone stairs at the YehLiu GeoPark birdwatching area, I heard some noise coming from a low tree branch. I looked up and saw the tree branch shaking roughly. At that moment I knew some kind of big bird was there. I searched here and there hardly, trying to locate the bird. Not long later good luck struck me. I saw a beautiful bird, which I had never seen before, standing on a branch. I quickly took some pictures of the bird, with my heart beating quicker than normal. After four shots, the bird probably had spotted me and flew away. I never met that bird again since then.

Later I showed the pictures to and asked a senior birdwatching fan what bird it is. He told me it's Chestnut-winged Cuckoo(Red-winged Crested Cuckoo). He said it's very hard to have a chance to photograph it in Taiwan because Taiwan is not on its migration route under normal circumstance. He said he came to YehLiu GeoPark that day just for it and said earlier that morning another birdwatching fan had taken a picture of it. Later I also met the guy who took a picture of the bird. He showed me his picture. It's the same bird with the crest erected. What he used to shoot the bird is an expansive Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, and what I used is a cheap compact digital camera. How lucky I am to be able to photograph this magnificent bird! Thanks to whoever or whatever makes this happen!

This one might be a female, since its feather is not as colorful as the ones found several years before(at Magong, Penghu County in 2010, etc.). In 2007 and 2008, one Chestnut-winged Cuckoo was also spotted at YehLiu.











Chinese name:冠郭公
English name:Chestnut-winged Cuckoo, Red-winged Crested Cuckoo
Nickname:
Scientific name:Clamator coromandus
Order:Cuculiformes
Family:Cuculidae
Species status:species
Conservation status:Least Concern
Migration status:Disoriented bird in Taiwan.
Frequency of appearance:Rare in Taiwan
Foods:Tiny animals, fruits
Habitat:Woodlands
Altitude:
Behavior:
Characteristics: General Characteristics: About 45 cm long. About the same size as Gray TreePie. The color is shiny grayish blue from back to tail. Head is shiny black. Crown is backward. Tail is long and is grayish blue. There is a white ring started from one side of the neck to the other side of the neck. The wing close to the belly is reddish brown. Wingbar is dark brown. Throat and upper breast are milky yellow. Lower breast and belly are white.
Breeding places:From Himalayas to India, Sri Lanka, Philippine, Indonesia, Mainland China
Migration destinations:
Time photographed:4/13/2012
Location found:Wanli District, New Taipei City
Sources:Internet
Notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment