Friday, August 2, 2013

Asian Stubtail, 11/1/2012

This Asian Stubtail suddenly appeared while I was taking pictures of a Grey-backed Thrush. Since this is the first time I ever hear the name, you can imagine how bad I wanted to take a good picture of it. But the site was so dark that my photographing thing didn't go well. This dark-colored bird was moving fast in and out of the dark ground under the woods in search of foods, which made the bird looking almost like a black shadow. It's very hard to get the focus right. I was unable to take a clear picture that afternoon. So I went again next day, but the result was the same. I guess my technique and my camera both need to be upgraded. But I managed to record a short video which is not good either. If the video hurt your eye, I apologize.



video recorded at YehLiu GeoPark, on 11/1/2012



Chinese name:短尾鶯
English name:Asian Stubtail
Nickname:
Scientific name:Urosphena squameiceps
Order:Passeriformes
Family:Sylviidae
Species status:Species
Conservation status:Least Concern
Migration status:Winter migratory birds or passage migrants in Taiwan
Frequency of appearance:Rare in Taiwan
Foods:Insects
Habitat:Woods, brushwoods, bushes
Altitude:Low altitude
Behavior:Often appear alone in woods, brushwoods and bushes
Characteristics:General Characteristics: Small, about 10 cm long. Tail is very short. It's mainly grayish brown, with the upperpart darker and the lowerpart lighter and whiter. Eyebrow stripe is milky yellow, long and clear. Eyeline is black. Cheek is grayish white, with thin dark brown stains. Throat is grayish white. Undertail covert is light grayish brown.
Summer plumage:
Winter plumage:
Similar species:
Breeding places:Breeding mainly in a small portion of southeastern Russia, northeastern China, Korean Peninsula, Japan.
Migration destinations:Wintering in southern China, Myanmar, Thailand, Lao, Viet Nam, Taiwan, etc.
Time photographed:11/1/2012
Location found:YehLiu GeoPark, New Taipei City, Taiwan
Sources:Internet
Notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment